- Business & Community Economic Development
- Conflict Resolution
- CORE 2025
- Disability Resource Center
- Diversity in Graduate Education
- Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
- Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Ally Programs Office
- Huntley House
- Institute for Diversity, Equity and Advocacy
- Multicultural Center for Academic Excellence
- NorthStar STEM Alliance
- Women's Center
- Education and Training
- Awards and Scholarships
- About OED
- Staff Intranet
In 1996, the University of Minnesota began a process of realigning resources that resulted in the existing Office for Equity and Diversity (OED). This intentional process of building a strong, interwoven structure reflects the university’s view of equity and diversity as critical elements and core values in achieving excellence at a leading research institution.
Leverage the transformative power of equity and diversity to advance excellence in teaching, research and community engagement at the University of Minnesota.
We envision a University where equity and diversity are:
1. Integrated into the work and lives of every student, faculty, and staff member.
2. Recognized as core institutional values, and will inform thinking, policies, and practices throughout the University.
3. Inherently intertwined with academic excellence and the development of leaders for a globally inclusive society.
Our commitment to social justice drives and grounds our work so that everything we do continuously fosters excellence through shared responsibility for:
1. Access and Inclusion: continuously preparing, inviting, and welcoming people to an environment where all have the opportunity to thrive at the University and beyond.
2. Community: creating equitable and collaborative partnerships to better work together within and outside the University towards shared goals.
3. Education and Learning: actively and intentionally using models and practices that incorporate content that reflects diverse ways of knowing, being and experiencing the world.
4. Sustainable Transformation: engaging in continuous individual and institutional reflection and collaboration to build capacity and integrate what we learn into our culture and infrastructure.
5. Accountability: evaluating and assessing progress towards realization of the University’s vision for equity and diversity.
What we mean by diversity:
It is our responsibility as an institution—as part of our commitment to creating a welcoming and affirming climate—to serve and support the following individuals and groups at the University of Minnesota:
- People of color, including underrepresented groups and new immigrant populations
- People with both visible and invisible disabilities
- People who identify as women
- People of various gender and sexual identities and expressions
- First-generation students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds.
We also address issues of access and climate for individuals who might encounter barriers based on their religious expression, age, national origin, ethnicity, or veteran status. Furthermore, we recognize the importance of working with people who claim more than one of the above identities.
Equity and Diversity Vision Framework
Access the equity and diversity vision framework and implementation update (PDF) document, or the full equity and diversity vision framework (PDF).
In 2014, the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities received the Higher Education Excellence in Diversity Award from Insight Into Diversity for the third year in a row.
Campus Pride, in 2014, named the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities as one of the top 50 LGBTQ-friendly universities in the nation, marking three consecutive years that the U of M-Twin Cities has received this recognition. The University of Minnesota-Duluth was also on the 2014 list of most LGBTQ-friendly colleges and universities.
Learn more about the Office for Equity and Diversity and the University of Minnesota:
- OED Organizational Chart (PDF)
- Welcome to Your Community: A Guide to Diversity Resources at the University of Minnesota and in the Twin Cities (PDF)
- About the U
- The University of Minnesota At a Glance
- President Kaler's remarks at the 2012 Equity and Diversity Breakfast
Access the OED feature story archives.