Dr. Nancy “Rusty” Barceló Scholarship
The Dr. Nancy “Rusty” Barceló Scholarship assists University of Minnesota women-identified students with financial need in completing their education at the University, with a special focus on women of color, new immigrants, and first generation college students. Dr. Nancy “Rusty” Barceló served the University of Minnesota as the Vice President and Vice Provost for Equity and Diversity, and is currently the President of Northern New Mexico College. Once the only Chicana student at the University of Iowa, Rusty has since become one of the nation’s most highly respected authorities on equity and diversity in higher education.
The Dr. Nancy “Rusty” Barceló Scholarship Fund makes this award possible.
These one-time awards range from $1,000–4,000 for the academic year. Scholarship winners are recognized at the annual Celebrating University Women Awards Program.
4:30 p.m. 1st Friday in June (June 5, 2015 for funds distributed in 2015-2016)
The applicant MUST fulfill each of the following requirements to be considered eligible:
- Woman student with demonstrated financial need.
- Admission or pending admission to an undergraduate or graduate/professional degree or credit certificate program at any U of M campus. Meet half-time enrollment status minimum.
- Good academic standing at the University of Minnesota (or prior institution). Provide unofficial academic transcripts from all relevant college/post-secondary enrollment.
- Strong, well-written personal statement
- Two strong reference letters
- Financial need
- Evidence of academic promise via past grades and/or reference letters
- Applicant selection is also “weighted” by the following characteristics:
- Student of color
- First generation in family to attend college
- Student with a disability
- New immigrant
- Other special circumstances
(Please note: if you meet the criteria for the Carol E. Macpherson Scholarship, please only apply for the Carol E. Macpherson Scholarship. We do not award students with both Barceló and Macpherson scholarship awards in the same academic year.)
Appointed by Women's Center, the selection committee includes University staff and faculty with particular interest and expertise in assisting women students.
Your application must include the following items to be considered. You are responsible for ensuring that all items below are submitted to the Selection Committee c/o the Women's Center at the address below by the deadline.
- Completed Barceló Scholarship Application, including your personal statement (see sample personal statements).
- Unofficial Academic transcripts of all related college/post-secondary enrollment.
- Completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the academic year you are applying for. Please file at least three weeks before the scholarship deadline.
- Two reference letters (to be sent directly from references or attached to application in a sealed envelope signed by the writer across the seal). These should be requested from two references that have known student and her educational goals.
Applications can be submitted to email@example.com, in person to 64 Appleby Hall (weekdays between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.), or by mail to:
64 Appleby Hall, 128 Pleasant St. SE
Delivery Code 3503
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Applicants will be notified of their award status in mid-August. The Office of Student Finance sends award checks to scholarship winners at the beginning of fall and spring semesters in two equal disbursements.
Questions: Women's Center, 612-625-9837, or firstname.lastname@example.org.