Carol E. Macpherson Memorial Scholarship
The Carol E. Macpherson Memorial Scholarship was established in Carol’s memory to assist women-identified students who are 28-years-old and over in completing their education at the University.
The Carol E. Macpherson Memorial Scholarship was created in the late 1970s and continues to be sustained through the generosity of Carol’s family.
Scholarships range from $1,000 - 6,000. [Note: These are one-time awards.] Scholarship winners are recognized at the annual Celebrating University Women Awards Program.
4:30 p.m. 1st Friday in June (June 5, 2015 for funds distributed in 2015-2016)
The applicant MUST fulfill each of the following requirements to be considered eligible:
- Women students (28 years or older)
- Have had a five-year or longer break in post-secondary education
- Demonstrated financial need
- Admission or pending admission to an undergraduate or graduate/professional degree or credit certificate program at any U of M campus
- Good academic standing at the University of Minnesota
- Meet half-time enrollment status minimum
In addition to the above, applicant selection is “weighted” by the following characteristics:
- Strength of candidate’s personal statement
- Reference letters indicating educational goals and academic promise
- First generation in family to attend college
- First undergraduate degree
- Student parent status
- Evidence of academic achievement
- Other special circumstances
(Please note: if you meet the criteria for the Carol E. Macpherson Scholarship, please only apply for the Carol E. Macpherson Scholarship. We do not award students with both the Dr. Nancy "Rusty" Barceló and Macpherson Scholarship awards in the same academic year.)
Appointed by Women's Center, the selection committee includes University staff and faculty with particular interest and expertise in assisting non-traditional women students.
Your application must include the following items to be considered. You are responsible for ensuring that all items below are submitted to the Selection Committee c/o the Women's Center at the address below by the deadline.
- Completed Macpherson Scholarship Application, including your personal statement (see sample personal statements).
- Academic transcripts of all related college/post-secondary enrollment.
- Completed Free Application for Federal Stud ent Aid (FAFSA) for the academic year you are applying for. Please file at least three weeks before the scholarship deadline.
- Two reference letters (to be sent directly from references or attached to application in a sealed envelope signed by the writer across the seal). These should be requested from two references that have known student and her educational goals.
Applications can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org, in person to 64 Appleby Hall (weekdays between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.), or by mail to:
64 Appleby Hall, 128 Pleasant St. SE
Delivery Code 3503
Minneapolis, MN 55455
All applicants will be notified of their award status in mid-August. The Office of Student Finance sends award checks to scholarship winners on the first day of the fall and spring semesters, generally in two equal disbursements.
Questions: Women's Center, 612-625-9837, or email@example.com.