Mullen/Spector/Truax Women's Leadership Award
The Mullen/Spector/Truax Endowment was established in 1997 to provide funds for the Mullen/Spector/Truax Women’s Leadership Award given annually to a faculty or staff woman at the University who has made outstanding contributions to women’s leadership development. This award honors women, not only for their own leadership qualities, but also for their efforts to develop leadership within others. This award honors Patricia Mullen, Janet Spector, and Anne Truax for their contributions to women at the University of Minnesota in their positions in Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action, the Center for Advanced Feminist Studies, at the Minnesota Women’s Center, respectively.
The Mullen/Spector/Truax Endowment for Women’s Leadership Development and the Women's Center.
A $1500 award will be given to the recipient’s department to be used by the winner in support of her professional development programs and activities. Award to be given at the annual Celebrating University Women Awards Program hosted by the Women's Center.
4:30 p.m., second Friday in March.
University of Minnesota women faculty or staff members.
Nominees are evaluated on the basis of a narrative and letters of support documenting their outstanding contributions to developing leadership in others in terms of impact, sustainability, comprehensiveness, distinguished excellence, and leadership empowerment. The narrative should provide specific evidence of excellence worthy of this recognition. Examples might include:
- Outstanding one-to-one mentorship to women resulting in documented evidence of achievement
- Distinguished program creation that helps University women faculty, staff, or students build skills and/or knowledge essential to success
- Policy or procedural changes that improve the work environment for University women
- Exceptional opportunities for professional and leadership development within a college, unit, or department
- Initiatives that reinforce and expand advancement and leadership opportunities for women
- Advocacy on behalf of major issues of concern to women
Appointed by Women's Center, to include women faculty, P&A staff, Civil Service/Bargaining Unit staff, and a student representative.
University of Minnesota faculty, staff, or students may make nominations. Individuals nominated, but not selected may be re-nominated for subsequent years. Nominations must include the following items:
- One letter of nomination (a narrative describing how the nominee meets the criteria) (preferably under 500 words).
- Two letters of support (preferably under 500 words)
- Nominee’s resume or curriculum vitae
Submit nominations to
64 Appleby Hall, 128 Pleasant St SE
Delivery Code 3503
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Questions: Women's Center, 612-625-9837, or firstname.lastname@example.org